When one thinks of Italy, a word that may come to mind is “bellisimo”. It is without a doubt that Italy is a country full of beautiful people, fashion, and history. Often times, people travel from far and wide to explore its famous landmarks, eat delicious food, and sip on Italian wines. What Italy might not be as commonly known for is its ski slopes. The Italian Alps are sometimes overshadowed by those in France, Switzerland, and Austria but they are home to some of the most vast and popular ski resorts in Europe.
Here are 5 reasons why skiing in Italy should be one of your next big adventures:
- The scenery is spectacular. If you take the Dolomiti Express train to the top of the Brenta Dolomites, the doors will open to a breathtaking view of the summits. The Italian Alps are home to some of Europe’s most beautiful snow and grand mountain peaks. You can count on every run to be refreshing and awe-inspiring.
- The mountains are endless. With between 400 and 500 lifts and over 40 ski villages, you will always be able to try somewhere new in the Dolomites. They are also easy to get to. Many resorts are accessible by the Dolomiti Express railway and cable car network.
- There’s more to do than just skiing. There’s something for everyone in the Italian Alps. Whether you are an experienced skier or a beginner just starting out, the Dolomites have runs for all levels. If skiing isn’t your forte, there are plenty of other Winter activities to do including, snowshoeing, biking, and even getting lost in the shops of the surrounding villages.
- Your appetite will not be disappointed. Italy will always be famous for its food and one certainly does not miss out on the mountains. Ski lunches tend to be “muy delicioso” with chalets all throughout the Italian Alps. On the mountains you will find more than 400 restaurants all providing guests with traditional homemade food including antipasti, pasta and desserts. Mangiamo!
- You will always get a good dose of history. Don’t be surprised if you ski by a cathedral or an old war trench on your way down a mountain. The Dolomites are full of Italian history dating back to World War I.
An Italian ski vacation will immerse you into the Italian culture through scenic views, good eats, and magnificent mountain ranges. The people are nice and the snow is perfect. Arrivederci!